The city’s site was chosen by a commission in 1959 after Karachi was found unsuitable as the capital. Construction began in 1961 with an effort to blend traditional Islamic architecture with modern patterns and requirements. Such world-renowned names in town planning and architecture as Konstantínos Doxiádes, Edward Durell Stone, and Gio Ponti have been associated with the city’s development. It is a compact city (area 25 square miles [65 square km]), lying at elevations ranging from 1,500 to 2,000 feet (450 to 600 metres). The second phase of construction ended with completion of the Secretariat, Pakistan House, President’s House, National Assembly Building, Grand National Mosque, and housing for government staff. The University of Islamabad was established in 1965 and the People’s Open University (later renamed the Allama Iqbal Open University) in 1974. The war with India in 1971 slowed construction temporarily.